The stated mission of the Louisiana Golf Association is:
To foster the enhancement and expansion of amateur golf through the development of member and information services, the promotion of opportunities for all who want to play, and the protection of the game’s integrity and valued traditions.
The LGA, founded in 1920, is a non-profit organization dedicated solely to serving the game of golf and its membership of approximately 90 Member Clubs and 14,000 individual members. Over the course of the last quarter-century, the LGA has grown from an organization that simply existed to conduct its statewide amateur championships to a full-service golf association that strives to accomplish its stated mission. The LGA is an Allied Golf Association (AGA) of the United States Golf Association. While the LGA provides a myriad peripheral benefits and services to its member clubs and individual members, its core services include the following:
- The provision of USGA approved course and slope rating services to all Louisiana golf courses. The course and slope rating services (which also includes tee-to-green GPS course measurement), are valued at a minimum of $3,500 and are provided free to LGA Member Clubs. The LGA is the only organization in Louisiana licensed by the USGA to provide these services.
- Administration of 14 LGA Championships, 27 LGA and USGA qualifiers, and 10 Louisiana Junior Golf Tour events. Championship administration, the LGA’s original service, is still an extremely important part of who we are. The LGA is proud to provide competitive opportunities for ALL who wish to play the game of golf, and we continually enhance the competitive experience for our tournament players.
- The LGA provides oversight and administration of the USGA Handicap System in Louisiana. Again, just as with course and slope rating services, the LGA is the only association licensed by the USGA to provide handicapping services to clubs in Louisiana.
- Upholding the integrity of the Rules of Golf and the Rules of Amateur Status. The LGA is the go-to authority in Louisiana for any questions on the Rules of Golf or Amateur Status. The LGA conducts numerous educational seminars for its member clubs and members.
These services are the nucleus of what the LGA does. Without the LGA and its services there would be no benchmark from which to compute a USGA Handicap Index (your Handicap Index is based upon the USGA course and slope rating system) nor would there be an entity to govern the game for amateurs in Louisiana. The LGA is responsible for maintaining the integrity of the game and its valued traditions (…remember the LGA’s mission statement…). Just as the USGA carries out these responsibilities on a national level, the LGA does the same in its area of jurisdiction (i.e., Louisiana).
These core services are extremely important to the maintenance of the game we all love and the LGA is committed to upholding its responsibilities in all of these areas. In addition, the LGA also feels a strong responsibility to create additional access to the game for both its new players and longtime members; as well as to create additional benefits to its Member Clubs and individual members.
Our Core Services:
- Championship Administration
- Course Measuring & Rating
- Handicapping Administration
- Rules of Amateur Status
- Rules of Golf
If you have any questions or would like to get involved, please call us at 337-265-3938.